Youth Voices in Development (YVID) is intended to leverage the creativity, knowledge and experience of young Canadians learning about development challenges first-hand during their VIDEA internship placements in southern and East Africa. For each month of their internship, VIDEA interns participating in Global Affairs Canada’s International Youth Internship Program (IYIP) write a thought piece related to development. The intent is that these assignments act as a catalyst for expanding the interns’ thinking and understanding, by drawing upon on-the-ground experiences to deepen their understanding of sustainable development. In order to share the interns’ learning with a wider audience, select pieces will then be shared through the VIDEA website, newsletter and other media.
This year's YVID focused on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). These goals were developed through a collaborative, UN-led process and provide an aspirational framework for global development until 2030. Read more about the SDGs here:
Topic Four. Goal Two: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
Click here for more information on the targets related to goal two
- Choose one or more of the targets for SDG 2. Discuss the current state of these targets in your host country as you see them, related obstacles, and your recommendations for achieving them.
- Drawing upon your knowledge, experiences and observations in your host country, discuss how SDG 2 (Zero Hunger) relates to the three other SDGs (Good Health and Well-Being, Quality Education, and Gender Equality) you have written about.
Topic Three. Goal Three: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
1. Choose one or more of the targets of goal three or look at health and well-being overall. What are your observations and recommendations for addressing this target in your host country, based on your experience?
2. How does the target you chose relate to goals four and five, if indeed it does?
Topic Two. Goal Four: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
1. What do you think are the entry points for achieving this goal in your host country?
2. What recommendations would you make for achieving this goal in your host country?
3. How do you believe that goal four relates to goal five, "achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls"?
Topic One. Goal Five: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
1. What do you think are the entry points for addressing this goal:
a) in your host country and;
b) in Canada.
2. What recommendations would you make for achieving this goal?