Youth Voices In Development
Youth Voices in Development (YVID) is intended to leverage the creativity, knowledge and experience of young Canadians learning about development challenges first-hand during their VIDEA internship placements in southern and East Africa. For each month of their internship, VIDEA interns participating in Global Affairs Canada’s International Youth Internship Program (IYIP) write a thought piece related to development. The intent is that these assignments act as a catalyst for expanding the interns’ thinking and understanding, by drawing upon on-the-ground experiences to deepen their understanding of sustainable development. In order to share the interns’ learning with a wider audience, select pieces will then be shared through the VIDEA website, newsletter and other media.
This year's YVID focused upon the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). These goals were developed through a collaborative, UN-led process and provide an aspirational framework for global development until 2030. Read more about the SDGs here:
Topic Four: Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
1) Choose one of the targets of Goal 12. Based on your observations, discuss ways in which your host country could work to meet this target from where they are now.
2) Compare this to how you think this target would need to be tackled in Canada: do your host country and Canada face the same challenges in address this target?
Topic Three. Goal 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
1. Choose one of the targets of goal two. What are your observations and recommendations for addressing this target in your host country, based on your experience?
2. How does the target you chose relate to goals four and five, if indeed it does?
Topic Two. Goal Four: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
1. What do you think are the entry points for achieving this goal in your host country?
2. What recommendations would you make for achieving this goal in your host country?
3. How do you believe that goal four relates to goal five, "achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls"?
Topic One. Goal Five: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
The SDGs are meant to apply to developed and developing countries alike, understanding that countries will be addressing them in different contexts. Each of the interns are asked to address the following in their reflections on the SDGs.
1. What do you think are the entry points for addressing this goal:
a) in your host country and;
b) in Canada.
2. What recommendations would you make for achieving this goal?